View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 10:16 AM

Great bull, Hank

There is nothing like hunting moose with a bow. I got my one and only bull moose in Oct 1999 NW of Red Deer. Heard what I thought was 2x4's smashing together. Had a cow moose stop in front of me and at 30 yards and I decided to pass as I was sure that what I was hearing was moose fighting. Worked my way through the rolling hills in a pasture that had groves of aspen scattered throughout and soon found the two bulls fighting. They had a barb wire between them and all you could hear was the twang of the wire snapping. Watching them, it was like watching big horn sheep fighting.....absolutely amazing. My only regret is not fishing my video camera out of my pack and getting some video. Got to within 80 yards and decided to hold tight to see what they would do after the fight before moving as I was now out in the open. Watched for 10 minutes of some of the most amazing sites I have ever seen and then they finally broke off. One was a great bull and the other was a smaller bull (the smaller was laying a licking on the bigger one for sure). The bigger on turned and started to parralel me and I guessed him to be 40 yards (was 45 yards) and I slowly stood up and he stopped and looked at me. Moments later, I had an arrow on its way and did a complete pass through. It all happened so fast and I was concentrating so much that I was unsure of my shot. He trotted about 50 yards and stopped to look back at me. His hind end started to get wobbly and then he flipped over backward and was done. The arrow passed through the top of his heart and both lungs. With in minutes, the smaller bull came out and stood broad side at 30 yards......a slam dunk. It amazing how many days you put in the field without any shot opportunity and then one day, I could have shot at three moose all within 1/2 hour of each other. It is a day that will remain etched in my memory forever. My bull was 48"wide and scored 146 and change.
The moose draw system has been implemented which really limits the opportunities to go after bulls around home anymore so I hold onto those memories.
Great moose, Hank, you obviously have a great spot there.
Marco