View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 858king View Post
Hillbilly:

PAL background checks don't take into account drug use, only drug infractions. Got a grip.

States that allow concealed carry may have a lower crime rate, but all that proves is that legal concealed carry does not necessarily raise crime; it can in no way be stated that it reduces crime from the evidence you've laid out (what would be more helpful would be an overall view of demographics, widely held values/religions, labour statistics, drug production and smuggling, and organized crime activity). In Mexico, concealed carry is illegal yet it happens all the time and look at their crime rate. Are you saying that the solution to, for instance, Mexico's crime would be Arizona's gun laws? Because it could be very easily stated that a huge component of Mexico's crime IS Arizona's gun laws using guns flowing back past the border.

In other words, more guns does not equal less crime, it effectively equals whatever the dominant societal force in the area wants it to be. Otherwise, the military would have no need for prisons because, by carrying guns, sainthood would be universal. Likewise, Mexico would be a haven of peace and tranquillity.

Among members of this forum, greater pistol usage would probably not mean more crime. But I bet it would mean more theft of pistols by people outside this forum, and I bet it would mean more crime using pistols by people outside this forum.

Again, it has very little to do with us as gun owners and everything to do with the population at large.

Having a drivers license does not prevent drunk driving, or speeding. If you haven't been convicted of a crime you are assumed innocent in this country. There will always be a few turds that cause trouble but for the most part 33 million Canadians are good people.

From:http://www.concealedcampus.org/pdf/ccw_gun_facts.pdf

1. In Texas, murder rates fell 50% faster than the national average in the year after their concealed carry law passed. Rape rates fell 93% faster in the first year after enactment, and 500% faster in the second153. Assaults fell 250% faster in the second year.

2. More to the point, crime is significantly higher in states without right-to-carry laws.

3. States that disallow concealed carry have violent crime rates 11% higher than national averages

4.The general public is:
• 5.7 times more likely to be arrested for violent offenses than CCW permit holders.
• 13.5 times more likely to be arrested for non-violent offenses than the than CCW permit holders

5. Of 14,000 CCW licensees in Oregon, only 4 (0.03%) were convicted of the criminal (not necessarily violent) use or possession of a firearm (I add, that is lower than the rate for most police forces.)

6.In Florida, a state that has allowed concealed carry since late 1987, you are twice as likely to be attacked by an alligator as by a person with a concealed carry permit

Those are just a few highlights, read for yourself.

Comparing Mexico to Canada is ridiculous. Mexico is run by the drug cartels, from the street sweeper to the President. There is basically nothing that corruption in their government doesn't influence. The cure for Mexico's trouble is to get rid of the corruption in the government and then allow for laws like Arizona's to be implemented, to help keep the turd rats our of power in the future. The corruption is so entrenched that I have no idea where to start cleaning it up short of revolution. No I'm not advocating for revolution in Mexico.

A huge part of Mexico's gun problem is the Obama administration led by Eric Holder setting up schemes to supply Mexican cartels with firearms. The outcome of the Fast and Furious investigation is going to be interesting. The rest of the guns are mostly stolen property, traded for drugs. Once again it is criminals creating the problems not the law abiding CCW holders.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw