Thread: Travers Closure
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 03:17 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.C View Post
I also have been fishing that lake since the beginning when they had the best trout fishing the province has ever seen.... I just tryed googling it... When did they say that all waters were in touble and shut all wayeye fishing down in the south?????That was the last year.
Think you are wrong Justin....just found this. Glad I wasn't losing my mind. You must be thinking of another lake.

http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/de...-Res-AB,04.pdf

Quote:
Prior to the late 1990’s, the walleye (Sander vitreus) fishery was minimal in southern
Alberta as populations were limited to a small number of rivers and irrigation
reservoirs (Council and Clayton 1997, 1998). In response to increasing demands for
angling opportunities, Alberta Sustainable Resource Development (ASRD) initiated
walleye stocking programs in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s on many irrigation
reservoirs in southern Alberta, including the Crawling Valley Reservoir (Alberta
Forestry, Lands and Wildlife 1986 ‐ 1989). Crawling Valley Reservoir was stocked each
year from 1990 to 1992 and currently supports one of the best walleye fisheries in
southern Alberta that is fast becoming popular among recreational anglers. To allow
stocked walleye sufficient time to establish and reproduce, Crawling Valley Reservoir
was managed as a catch‐and‐release fishery with an annual angling season from 8 May
to 15 March, and an angling closure from 16 March to 7 May during spring spawning
(ASRD 2004a).
With the increasing popularity of the walleye fishery on the reservoir, anglers are
expected to pressure ASRD to change walleye fishing regulations from catch‐andrelease
to an allowable harvest. Although several sportfish inventory studies have been
conducted on the reservoir (Council and Clayton 1997, 1998, 1999; Council 2000, 2001,
2002; Council and Cooper 2003; Cooper 2004), little quantitative data exist on angling
pressure or walleye population size. In 2004, the Alberta Conservation Association
(ACA) and ASRD initiated a five‐part field study which included a Fall Walleye Index
Netting (FWIN) survey to assess the status of the walleye fishery in the reservoir. The
quantitative data collected from this survey is intended to help formulate future
management guidelines pertaining to walleye harvest in the reservoir. In the current
report, data are presented on population structure, growth, density and stability, as
part of the larger study.