View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 08:05 PM

Went to my first shoot this past weekend. Had blast on Friday night at the warm up round with some other not so competitive people (hunter and his girl friend who was learning to shoot). Next day though, my buddy and I were paired with a couple 'experts'. They did not want to have anything to do with us, not even share advice or stories. They were in a different class then us as well. Kinda put a damper on the entire experience.

Personally I think mixing hunters with the competitive 3-D archers was a bad idea in my case, but suppose it could of just been their personalities. Not like I was slowing them down or anything and I shot 170, but they sure did not make me feel welcome.

Also, I found it hard to find out what the heck the rules and guideline were for first timers. I had to practically beat it out of the volunteers and the people we were shooting with offered no advice whatever. My friend shot the alphabet target instead of the numeric target the first time and these guys did not say boo.

I was a lot of fun, but I guess I'm suggesting:

Put hunters with hunters, competitors with competitors.
Have a orientation handout or 30 minute intro for stuff.
Fun shoots are great! Even more fun than the official score type shooting.
Mystery prize shoot - All target in range, but an unknown one gets the prize. Totally luck but you still have to make the shot!

Let me know when your shoots are.

IMO