View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
Went to my first shoot this past weekend. Had blast on Friday night at the warm up round with some other not so competitive people (hunter and his girl friend who was learning to shoot). Next day though, my buddy and I were paired with a couple 'experts'. They did not want to have anything to do with us, not even share advice or stories. They were in a different class then us as well. Kinda put a damper on the entire experience.

Personally I think mixing hunters with the competitive 3-D archers was a bad idea in my case, but suppose it could of just been their personalities. Not like I was slowing them down or anything and I shot 170, but they sure did not make me feel welcome.

Also, I found it hard to find out what the heck the rules and guideline were for first timers. I had to practically beat it out of the volunteers and the people we were shooting with offered no advice whatever. My friend shot the alphabet target instead of the numeric target the first time and these guys did not say boo.

I was a lot of fun, but I guess I'm suggesting:

Put hunters with hunters, competitors with competitors.
Have a orientation handout or 30 minute intro for stuff.
Fun shoots are great! Even more fun than the official score type shooting.
Mystery prize shoot - All target in range, but an unknown one gets the prize. Totally luck but you still have to make the shot!

Let me know when your shoots are.

IMO

That is to bad that you got paired with someone who will not be willing to help anyone out. that is not the case of the matter with most people. Nekred is right when he says that most people will help you out and are willing to talk to everyone. Being a sponsored shooter my scores are high but that is not the only reason people are sponsored. We get sponsored because people can come and approach us and talk to us and we are willing to talk to you about any questions you have.

Nekred puts on an awesome shoot cannot wait until he puts this years on again. I will appoligize for the archery community for the way you were treated. most of us are there to have fun no matter what equipment you have and will not laugh at you. we are there to help if needed, remember we were in your place at one time also and we know how it feels to walk into a shoot with so many people there that are trying to win money.

I shot with a little 8 eight year old this year at an outdoor shoot. one of the guys in our group was getting discouraged about his score, he was trying to keep up with me in score. The little guy looked at him and said dont worry just shoot and have fun. the little kid made the most sense out of anyone in the group after that the guy had fun and his scores were good.
Most people need to not worry about competeing against the other but to compete against oneself and most of all Have Fun.
Go to nekreds shoot and I guarantee you will have fun and meet alot of people who are there to help and have fun with you