View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 09:26 PM

It would definitely help to have some true clarity on what SRD's target strategy would be for provincial sheep. I would think that putting sheep on a draw everywhere, while it would limit the number of individuals hunting a wmu each season, wouldn't noticeably reduce the number of sheep shot each season and instead could possibly increase the harvest success in some wmu's. Those drawing a tag would likely hunt harder given they know they won't be able to go out for a few more years REGARDLESS of whether they harvest a sheep. An optimistic 3-4 year wait based on draws wouldn't be much different than lengthening the current waiting period of 2 years if one harvests a ram but would would definitely reduce resident hunter opportunities in general. I wonder how many of the people purchasing general trophy sheep tags put in more than one or two trips or a week in most of the areas, especially those with more difficult access. I know guys who buy a tag, put in a couple weekends and that is it for the season. Bought a tag (elevating hunter numbers) but really haven't spent many days out, so their opportunity for a successful harvest is low. I bet a lot of purchasers of sheep tags fall into that kind of scenario.

As others have mentioned, non-resident oppportunity should also decrease, ESPECIALLY if resident opportunity decreases. Is there a way of finding out by wmu what the percentage of total rams harvested is by outfitters? Or what the percentage of success on rams is overall in the province by outfitters each year? If reduced harvest is the goal, and removing the most successful hunting group is the goal, then outfitters unfortunately would fit that group. I don't think that punishing hunters for being successful is the answer though.

Also, the wait based on age class of the harvested ram doesn't make much sense if in one part of the province you can shoot a legal ram that is a few years younger than a legal ram in another. You could end up waiting 5 years instead of 3 (if the waits posted are right), and that makes no sense. I know I will be hunting northern zones for the opportunity to hunt sheep more often if that is the case, but for me most of my hunting enjoyment comes from getting out and enjoying the opportunity.

I would think that changing wmu's to full curl would most likely increase the 'trophy' potential (although any legal ram is a trophy) across the province and would also increase the age class of rams being harvested. Yes, some areas may see broomed off rams that don't meet full curl but those rams also have the ability to pass on a good set of genetics and maybe their offspring won't be as aggressive in brooming off their horns and will be full curl. I don't think this would be the same scenario as finding mostly 5 point bull elk in 6 point zones (sorry to mention the elk in this sheep thread). Full curl regulation still won't address guys shooting non-legal rams. They will just be non-legal rams that are a couple years older, so the harvest of non-legal rams can't be the issue that SRD is trying to resolve.

Easy access into some of the areas definitely sounds like it affects the harvest of sheep in some wmu's. Hate to say it, but maybe there needs to be restrictions on access. I harvested my ram in an area with atv access but have also been in on harvests where atvs were not permitted. I've done multi day backpack trips to get to where I wanted to hunt as well. Never used a horse for hunting, but restricting or reducing their use in some areas would definitely affect sheep harvest levels in many wmus. One thing I always wondered was why sheep season starts on August 25. I like hunting in late August/early September when I sleep in my tent, but have wondered what a later start to the season would do in regards to the number of hunters trying to get sheep. I wonder how many hunters hunt sheep because that is what is open first and once other animal seasons open up don't ever go back out for sheep.

Those are my thoughts for now. Hopefully SRD uses good judgement in their upcoming decisions and have the best interests of sheep and Alberta residents in mind and not the best interests of agencies with money. This is however, the province of Alberta and money seems to talk to this government.