View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762Russian View Post
My own concern for it would be the people behind the trigger. Goal of the hunter is to take down an animal as quickly and clean as possible, and handguns, while deadly, can't produce the velocity of a long gun. Less velocity is less accuracy, and less stopping power coming out of the end of the barrel. What the heck does this mean??? Are you saying a 45/70 factory load is less accurate and has less stopping power than a 30-30?

Myself I would not want to see it used on large game because while you might be a crack shot and able to take the arse off a flea at 50 paces, the next guy down the line might be able to hit serving tray at 20, if it's a good day and he doesn't have the sun in his eyes. Rifles are stable, have better performance at uncertain ranges, and hit harder. I would suggest that anyone who takes the time and money to purchase handguns, jumps through all the hoops, is probably going to be a more effective hunter than the Yokel who buys his first rifle, a 300 Eargasplitzen Loudenboumer Magnum, and starts "Hunting" at 500 yds!

That said, I would like to see it allowed for small game. A .22LR revolver at hand when out Gophering would be great for popping the dumb buggers that stand up ten feet away. A .22LR hitting a grouse out of a rifle or a pistol won't have any demonstrable difference on such a small target. Game is game. they all deserve the respect of a clean humane kill.

Thinking on a bit more before I post, I actually can see handguns being used on bigger game, with certain rules; they would have to be demonstrably powerful enough, with the right bullet and charge, and the hunter needs to be aware that they are hunting in the same fashion as a bowhunter; getting as close as absolutely possible before taking the shot, and knowing when NOT to take the shot as well.I believe a handgun hunter would use her/his discretion when choosing an appropriate caliber/cartridge. Just like we would be unlikely to encounter a Moose hunter with a 38spl RIFLE!

Self defeating attitudes will change Nothing