View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar270 View Post
RWM, my only point to those restrictions is, why shouldn't they apply to every other tool we use to hunt with.

Other then the logistics of who does the testing, how available is it etc, I don't much care if that was what it took to do it. However how long do you think we would have competency testing with handguns before people were demanding the same for rifle and bow hunters? Do we really want to go down that road?

Also just because I can make the shots required for the testing at whatever the given distance is, doesn't prevent me from trying to make shots that are too far, just like the 70 yard bow hunters and 500 yard rifle hunters.

The point is nothing we put in place for a restriction will stop those who are not ethical from doing unethical things.

I have an antique status pistol, I have a CWD landowner tag that's still valid untill mid January, I could go out and legally shoot a deer with it this weekend. I won't because my particular antique pistol does not have the power I consider sufficient. If I had a couple grand laying around, I would seriously consider buying one I do consider sufficient to go do just that before SRD changes the law. Unfortunately Santa didn't deliver any winning lottery tickets.

I actually think from SRD's point of view, they would be more likely to just remove the restriction then bring in a bunch of competency stuff, because that would be a real pain for them to administer.

Also what would you make the test? Do you have to be tested with each pistol you may want to hunt with? Can I come pass the test with my single shot target pistol, then take my 1911 hunting? What if I don't feel the handgun I have is sufficient past 20 yards, yet the test is at 50 yards? Getting into a discussion on testing like this would be an entire thread on it's own, so many variables, and so many unique circumstances to deal with.
Since we are asking for a new privilege, I don't see much of a problem with agreeing to some testing/prerequisites before you can hunt. Before I could get my first hunting tags I had to prove I had taken a hunting course. Perhaps all we need is something like this.

As for range testing, I believe Germany has this requirement before you get a license to own a gun. I think that if you can prove you know your way around a pistol, and can put lead on target consistently, I don't think it matters which pistol you test with.

Currently it sounds like SRD wants to remove all loopholes to prevent any discussion on hand gun hunting. That was what was originally posted, and what this discussion was all about. They seem to claim it is easier to ban it than to come up with rules for it. Before it appears they claimed it was federal laws that prevented this, but in fact this was not the case, as you could possibly hunt with an antique pistol, and they are trying to close this loophole. The SRD are not our friends.

As for future testing of hunters with rifles and bows, we may see that in the future anyways. It could be like all other changes, if you were legal before the changes, then you will be grandfathered. Any new licenses will require more testing.

I am merely putting out solutions. Some may not like what I say, but I think the arguments I make are the least intrusive of what some people who are totally against guns would demand. We currently can't hunt with hand guns. So if we want to be given this privilege, lets put forth what a possible solution would be, and we need to be smart enough to know that we will have to do something to appease those against guns. I would rather have a solution that we can deal with than have a solution to what they will permit. I doubt you will get many politicians willing to back an unrestricted hand gun hunting bill, let alone getting it passed. People need to be realistic. Do you want to hunt with a hand gun, or do you want to continue to argue that we should be able to do it.

Can you explain why .25 and .32 are prohibited? No good reason. Was to get rid of the "Saturday night specials" but it didn't do this, and in fact the length of barrel is a far better restriction if you are worried about concealed guns.

Last edited by rwm1273; 12-30-2011 at 12:41 PM.