View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the reply Keg, its pretty much what i was looking for. This is something that i always enjoyed to do, and i have done a deer cape when i was 17ish too, with the help of my day and with mywork life style on a rollercoaster is something that i havent done in 17 years. i have a few more questions on your replies and i hope these will be the last.

A word here about fleshing a Coyote pelt. A Coyote is one of the harder pelts to flesh because the hide is thin and easily torn. Relative to other pelts.For drying for sale as raw fur, it is only necessary to remove the larger patches of flesh and fat. You do not need to get it all.
How much fleshing is acceptable for pelts to be dryed and sold? Dime size and thickness? When i skinned the coyote 20 years ago with my grandfather, we pulled every piece off, which when i think of it now, he is a perfectionist, so none was allowed to stay on the coyote for sale, but in reality as you are saying some can be left.
I recall from tanning the cape, it was acceptable at 0% of meat or fat to be left on. If you had a picture even on how much you leave on the coyote hide that would be excellent.

Salting is done to extend the storage time for a pelt that will be tanned locally or stored for later taxidermy.
Ok so with the salt should it be left flat, rolled up with the hide touching hide, or fur touching fur. Where should this be stored, in the freezer, or on a shelf in a garage?

If the pelt is to be frozen until processed salt should be unnecessary and could complicate the tanning process. Best avoid using salt on hides that will be frozen.

New question, what is the ideal temp to dry a stretched pelt at, in a cool dry place, is what i did before, how cold is too cold and how warm is too warm.

Another new question, can a dryed pelt be overdried if left on the adjustable stretcher- hide side out-for longer than you recommended, of 24 hours? if so, wet it down?

The hide will not rot so long as it is kept dry, however, after a few years the fur will loosen and fall out. If the hide is not tanned before that occurs.
I know you may not have this answer but do you think that this is bugs that cause this and would Borax work to elimintate this if one tried it?

I have never tried it but it is my understanding that yes, Borax will preserve the pelt over a much longer term. However, I was told that tanners hate working with a hide that has been treated with Borax.
I'm not sure why.
i think Borax is a detergent, and would help "wash" away tanning solution, i am just guessing on that, though.

Thanks again for your reply. With the answers like these i may get into the skinning more.