View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 08:04 PM

Default Wolf!!

Last day of the late season elk draw, did not see any elk, but this is what we ended up with. He is my first wolf ever and i feel i must tell the whole,very unique story. Hope you guys enjoy reading the story as much as i enjoy telling it. We were standing in the middle of a field surrounded by thick timber, doing some "strategical planning" when out of no where a deep spine shivering howl cuts through the air. I turned and spotted the wolf half hidden by a hill around 200 yards away. This was quickly followed by the crack of my rifle, the bullet missed its mark. To my astonishment the wolf ran for me and my friend. I shot again, the wolf hit the ground.... and then after a second lept to its feet and came straight on a dead sprint for us again. I unloaded my clip unfortunately missing each time. I scrambled to find my extra bullets and load my clip, wondering if i should just grab my knife instead. At around this time a mentioned to my friend that it may be a good time to take his turn and shoot as the wolf was just 40 yards away. His first shot cracks through the air right beside the wolf which was enough to make it change course and head on a diagonal away from us. As my friend shot two more times, high and behind the sprinting wolf, i said, he is close just put the cross hairs right on it. His next shot cracked through the backside of the wolf just as it disappeared over the next hill. I reloaded and quickly ran up the hill to find the wolf trying to get away on the other side, one shot later and we hauled the well over 100 pound wolf back to my truck. I was using my Tikka T3 Hunter in .338 win mag and my friend was shooting a Savage 300 win mag, and believe me the taxidermist... is not happy about that. Enjoy the pictures!!