View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 10:10 AM

I use the same strategy and clothes for all my back-country pursuits year round. I layer with technical clothing and just adjust the number of layers based on temperature and weather.

Underwear: Merino wool! undershirt, longjohns, sock liners, and neck tube. The icebreaker brand is amazingly good but pricey.

Thermal layer: Fleece pants, fleece jacket, thick wool socks, fleece gloves, toque.

If it's really warm I eliminate some or all of this layer. If it's super cold I'll double up on this layer with one thin fleece, and one thick.

Outer layer: Goretex pants, jacket, and mittens. Sorel boots or Merrell hiking boots depending on application.

My MEC goretex shell jacket and pants I got in '99 are the BEST. Not a single rip or tear and they are still 100% waterproof. However, I take good care of them and re-treat them with water repellent every year.

I like this method, because I can use it for everything year-round and don't have any redundancy. It breathes extremely well too so I don't get sweaty when I'm working and chilled when I rest. I'm never going back to sport-specific clothing.