View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 04:31 PM

Thanks Rocks, I'm glad someone else is also looking into the details, and catching the errors.

SMA 6 (Cadomin) Includes the mine, and all of wmu 436, 437 and 438.
Not all of SMA 6 sheep counted are mine rams.

The 2011 ACA survey showed that SMA 6, 7 and 8 had an aggregate of 4.88% legal rams in the population.

As I mentioned, I don't believe Figure 3, legal ram percantages to be accurate. For example, SMA 3 - Kananaskis, has consistently surveyed at 5% legal rams, yet the graph states the long term average legal Ram % is now 4.
This doesn't make sense.

I missed the outfitter harvest.
Last 10 year average Licenced ram harvest is 179. Last years harvest was 168. My 2011 licenced harvest number should have been 2.60% (not 2.13) of the population.

This really sucks trying to piece the puzzle together with bits of general summary information. Like most conservation minded people, I am content to have my hunting opportunity restricted when the need arises. From the general summaries provided by SRD, it is impossible to understand/believe that there is a valid concern regarding the ram population.

The overall population of Sheep has remained stable to increaing over the last 20 years. 2011 Licenced Ram harvest is equal to the average over the last ten years.

Yet there is now a supposed shortfall of Legal Rams? Where did they go?

The public needs to have this information released.

-ALL Sheep survey results (1971 to present) used to calculate the summaries including sex/legal ram numbers by SMA.

-Sheep harvest results by SMA.

-Registered Subsistence harvest and known illegal harvest numbers.

-If they want to keep on with the genetic concern disussion, the release of horn size/age data.

Last edited by walking buffalo; 02-10-2012 at 04:44 PM.