Thread: Worldviews
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Cal View Post
I see our universe as a whole, understanding that every action causes a reaction that effects the inhibitants. Whether it is a book that is written, or a movie that is made to desensitizes us. I examine what is going on in Syria, Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, yamen...etc. And ask myself what spiritual meaning it may have? To you God may be anthropomorphic deity, but to me He is a Spirit, and has once walked upon this earth in flesh and blood. You cannot see it as I do, because you cannot share in my conversion experience, as I cannot share in Pauls. When ones senses are exposed to a significant event it makes it harder to excuse what they have experienced. It is not something that Science can explain away.
It is not I who see God as anthropomorphic, it is the bible which describes God in that fashion, and I have previously given references.

As I have said previously, that demeans any understanding of the logos inside, and restricts spiritual growth. Does it give some sense of spirituality? Of course it does, but throws a constraint around a growth beyond that "which is written".

There was a path you may have taken to get to where you are now, why let it end there? Open yourself up to a higher level, letting the logos interact with our world and our universe. The rules are not "written", but the spiritual impact are at a much higher level then just the conscious.

Something led you to the faith you now profess. Don't put on the brakes, but keep riding on that path.

Quote:
In a comparitive way I would encourage you to take a step further, seeking after the Spirit of truth, as is found in Christ. Not letting mankind stop you by trying to convince you that it does not exist, or that it is not possible have. For that Spirit brings life, understanding, and Peace...even while we remain for a short time on this earth.
And as I suggested above, why stop seeking? Restricting oneself to the constraints a book, scripture or organization imposes on spirituality limits that growth.

Quote:
I thought you didn't believe in the exodus, so how can you use this for an example? If Moses had not acted first then would he and the children of Israel have lived? I thought the neighboring tribes sought to destroy them? So should they have waited to be destroyed first?
Your right, I don't believe the literal bible at all. But since so many people use it as a reference, I feel I need to discuss it when one is discussing religion.

If one accepts the biblical version, then one must realize that the Jews were the invading tribe, and the Midianites were the citizens of their own area. There is no indication of the Midianites attacking the Jews first, was there?

Pre-emptive strike? That worked out well when the U.S. went to Iraq, didn't it?

To me this is one of the most disgusting chapters in the bible, even though there are many others that can give this one competition. How can anyone teach his or her children that this is the word of God or God inspired. If I knew a stronger word then disgusting, I would use it. Kill all men, women and children? Keep all the virgins you can find?

There are no justifications, period.

Read it for yourself.