View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Bee, You say just because some guys havent caught big fish doesnt mean its entirely mismanaged.
That could surely be the case for guys that dont do alot of fishing. Id even say that could be true for alot of guys that do alot of fishing but might not know how to do it. For guys that target strictly large predators on a year round basis Id say that assumptions are like azzholes.... LOL.
For example Bee. Since the start of Brooks Elks early open water derby, held foremerly on Newell and currently R.Hills res. My boat has never been out of the top 4, with multiple 2nds 3rds and a couple 4ths, 1 win that still holds the most pounds on 3 ever weighed at 41 3/4 from back when weights were used (livewells), and one year where I hooked and lost an estimated minimum 60 pounds on 3, with witness, One unbuttoned within net range and was a mere 15lb fish. All one day scenario, no time spent prefishing. I know my local lakes and I love hunting large predators. We have watched these fisheries stunting out. This is not wild assumption, it is fact. The majority of people that catch large pike in this province are not letting them go and they need to be, if it takes regulation to do it all the better, the choice needs to be (in my opinion) be removed all together. Its critical to the overall health of the fishery.
Additionally I disagree with your saying that its not SRD's fault if people "legally" fish out species/lakes.
Well, to play the devil's advocate,

lakes (and rivers) are not static systems, they go through cycles, both naturally, and in response to human impacts. So, one cannot expect any water, whether riverine or lacustrine to remain in a static state.

SRD cannot predict when or if a lake will become a hotspot, particularly if it is a small lake, and SRD does not have the resources to micromanage at this level.

Perhaps they need in-season limit changes like they have in BC (for salmon) so that when a hotspot for harvest (not C&R) is identified they can clamp down on harvest before it's too late.