View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Banned

Silver crucian carp has been in alberta for some time, i'm surprised that only now they've been discovered. I found them in serviceberry creek(one of the irrigation ponds). Irrigation district knows about these fish as i've talked to an officer that was checking my license. I doubt anything can be done now. That same dugout pond has lake whites, pike, perch, silver crucian, two types of suckers, tulebee, shiners, and probably some other fish i haven't cought from it. It seems to me that all these fish are doing just fine, especially pike.

If it was golden crucian(which is now almost extinct thanks to silver crucian) it wouldn't be able to survive, as it is very vulnerable, but this silver crucian is very prolific, it destroyed numerous fish species in Danube basin when it was introduced in late 50's early 60's. As did american bullhead catfish. Craziest thing about this specie is the ability to switch sex, this way they always have an optimum number of males to females, and every spawn is a very successful.

Good luck exterminating them, if they hit the flowing water as sundance states it's game over. They will spread, and they spread fast!