View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
We are getting somewhere with this thread guys. Kyle, steelhead, and also a few other people (myself included) have been trying to spread the knowledge around so that we can produce better fisheries. I agree with Kyle, it is pretty pathetic that the anglers are already doing what is right before the biologists. And then the point made about fishermen taking action before biologists make it "legal"

Who needs to go out and kill a limit of whitefish, a couple perch, and a couple big female pike? Certainly not Albertans, unless they want to contribute to the depleting fisheries. Sure, if you're coming down from Edmonton or up from Calgary or something once a year, fine, take your limit, but it's a lot of the locals contributing as well. Guys "whacking and stacking" keeping their limit time and time again, filling the freezer with whitefish and pike.

Again, guys who are comparing Alberta to Ontario & Manitoba, it's comparable. (Yes wildman, THAT is comparable, fishing and hunting are not)
When you look at the big picture, Alberta has more fishermen per water, but like someone else posted, A good chunk of the waters out east see very few visitors. It's time Alberta takes action before it's too late.
Not just "out east", but BC has MANY times more waters for fishing than Alberta. While I'm on here- with Lac Ste. Anne,& Baptiste being catch and release for pike and walleye- why are we still allowing treble hooks?? Have you seen the damage these weapons can do to a hungry fish, even if they are barbless?? It does not make sense for catch and release to allow treble hooks, or bait. IMO!