Thread: Goose Hunting
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I was raised by the water and do most of my waterfowling over water. I live to see my dogs working in the marsh. The variety of wildlife one encounters in a field pales in comparison to a day around a lake or marsh.

Many times other hunters have told me this is uneithical and not truly hunting.

Most of the the time I have only a couple hours before or after work and just grab a dozen blocks and head to the lake. Never the slaugther of the hunting videos but gets me and the dogs out of the house and generally we bag a few birds for the pot.

As far as Bud wounding a bird, give me a break, we all use steel shot and there is plenty of hungry coyotes around. Your discription of the poor wounded goose dying a meaningless death sounds like something out of the mouth of an anti-sealer. There is more geese every year in my neck of the woods and they recieve very little hunting pressure.

I've been on several large set up field hunts and it boiled down to 45 minutes of out and out killing. Got nothing against it, just don't see any sport in it. The birds are out of their natural element and if you "do the work" they really have no chance.

To each their own. If your out ther enjoying the day with friends ,family and dogs; I'm all for it.

Sorry about the hi-jack.

If your planning on doing some practise shooting before you go (strongly recommended) remember that magnum loads of steel patern different and are much faster then cheap loads of lead. You should do at least some shooting with what you intend to shoot with.
I see nothing wrong with setting up in a slough or pothole. The birds can be brought in with the blocks for some good shooting.

I am in no way any type of anti. That is crazy. As hunters we have a responsibility to try to kill the bird humanely. Why blast at birds just because they are there? Bring them into range and then you have a better chance to dispatch them quickly and cleanly. Why do you use the blocks? Same reason. Bring them to where you know the range.

Saying we all use steel and that it is to be blamed for wounding birds doesn't work for me. If people would pattern their shotguns and find which load works best with which choke, there would be alot less wounded birds. I found that some shells don't pattern worth a crap for me. I have found a load for my shotgun now that kills birds dead. Very few fliers and a consistent pattern out to 35 yards. The only trick to killing with the load is that you have to know the range consistently. I set my dekes so that any birds inside the dekes are inside my effective range. Takes out the guesswork. Do I wound birds? Sure, everyone will eventually wound some. I lost zero birds last season. Not one. The main reason is that I had permission to be on the land. I had to send the dog out on some very long retrieves but I was allowed to be there so I wasn't trespassing. I know that sooner or later I will also lose a bird or two but I am doing everything I can to prevent it.