View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 08:30 AM

That shot was *****house luck pure and simple....

Frontal shot... 2 inches either way and you have a horribale maiming wound... you have to split that brisket...

90m Fita (100 yards) with target bows and guys that have practised their whole life who can hit a dime indoors consistently for 58/60 shots make a 6-8 inch group at 90 metres and is some dang fine shooting...

Now throw a hunting bow, hunting conditions, potential for animal movement, broadheads and buck fever into the mix and that shot becomes even more amazing....

As for bows having more energy tody.... Crap on that.. 20 years ago a Martin Fury could get a 400 grain ACC arrow to 320 fps at 70 lbs.... It just sounded like a dryfire everytime it shot.... Tremendous energy... Today there are bows that will do the same at 70 lbs but a whole lot less noise...

In fact my old Martin Impala moved a 375 grain arrow at 305 fps.... I won a long distance shot with it once (150 yards) but out of 100 archers there were two of us that hit it... One was a trad shooter who hit the knee, and I will admit it is *****house luck but I pinned it....

In fact i would not call this guy a bowhunter... he may have used a bow but to me bowhunting means I am willing to take a handicap to prove my skill in hunting and getting close.... Not using a weapon because that is the only weapon I can use in that season and try and push the envelope beyond the extreme.... and then think I am a "bowhunter"...