View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 08:14 PM

Intresting thread, and think most in the non mechanical trades don't know the costs/ tools involved,
First off I am a Heavy duty diesel Mechanic, free lance contractor, running a five ton truck, crane, with welding, 80cfm compressor, A/C, diagnostic and heavy press gear to 100 ton.
Truck and crane $206000, last payment June 22nd, Yea Har!
welding $15000, air arc, oxy lance, mig, etc.
A/c $8000,
press $40000,
diagnostic, $20000 plus.
other tools, est $150000.

I work hourly rate only, normaly $110-125 depending on customer, those that pay quickly and well get priority, customer provides fuel and sum consumables & PPE. The cost of lancing rods, good welding rods, locktite, neversieze, cleaning solvents, propane, and hardware (bolts, nuts ,split pins etc) is staggering, no problem to burn up a $100-$200 in supplies in a 12hr shift.
Good mechanics who troubleshoot and repair, are fewer and fewer every year, vehicals are more advanced and difficulate to repair and even axcess to start a repair.
If you find a good mechanic best to treat him fairly and be resanable, go bitch at his boss, if you arn't happy.
For the record I don't like the light vehical flat rate policy, and think its too open to abuse.

southernman.