Thread: 1/2 Ton Towing
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndrbrown View Post
Hey, I'm sure this has been done to death, I have a 2009 gm 1/2 ton Z71.
any of you on here tow with the same truck, and what are you comfortable pulling? looking into getting a travel trailer/ or fifth wheel around the 6000-7000 lb mark?
thanks in advance
i have one of those trucks. when i was a grease monkey, i did a couple of modifications to make 1/2 tons carry a little more. i ALWAYS recommend adding leafs over airbags. i still cant believe that GM puts two weight springs in a pickup.....

anyway, if you go through all your numbers and decide you need a trailer just a bit bigger, you dont neccessarily need a new truck. more than once people brought me forms from the registry office to sign after i had upgraded suspension and brakes. dont forget the brakes....most do. they then issued new gvw and gcvw numbers. that will work in alberta, but i dont know if SK and BC accept it or not.

the advanatge there is that you dont have buy a heavy 3/4 ton costing more and burning a bunch of extra fuel to go camping half a dozen times a year. just another option.

i didnt recertify my truck as i didnt need to....my weights are good.... but i did add 2 more leafs and remove the spacer block. throw in a spacer under the strut up front and my truck now sits where a truck should. damn GM builds them things like cars with the low ride and no springs.