View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
There is no such thing as a dry canoe. The gun will have to be secured to the canoe if you go over, you want everything to be kept together. A floating case may just have it float off when you may need it the most.

My choice would be the 22 then the 870.

Deet is your most important requirement. The 870 can be used on some of those skeeters, #8 shot may be light.
Its not so much the water in the canoe, but once you get water in the case the gun pretty much stays wet for the rest of the trip. Maby its different if you arent actualy hunting but in my exprience even with a waterproof case water gets in because except in rough water or other dangerouse conditions I leave the end open so that I can get my gun out quick. On a river trip I am sometimes constantly opening and closing the end of the case as I paddle depending on what the river is doing, waterproof cases are usualy slow to open and close so i prefer not to use them. I tie the case in real good, you want the case to stay with the canoe in the event of a capsize, not float off. The gun needs to be in that case regardless of if its wet or not so you dont lose it in a capsize or beat it up climbing over it on less than ideal landings, when it spends enough time in a wet case your stock swells up. After a few of these episodes the grain starts to raise, you see bubbles in the finish, and you need to refinish the stock.

The marine grade 12 gauge was a pretty good suggestion, I forgot about those things.

Last edited by Cal; 08-07-2012 at 09:07 AM.