View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 01:50 AM

After I was sufficiently satisfied that neither I nor my things would be blown off the face of the Earth I prepped my fishing gear. Despite a #20 BWO and 7X leaders I got several rejections, fish hitting a dozen other naturals on the surface all around my own while failing to acknowledge my imitation existed at all. I was having moments of déjà vu from Michelle Lakes last year. Regardless I was just happy to be somewhere so awe inspiringly beautiful. My friend managed to hook and land a single fish on a small mayfly pattern, just as light hit its optimal time.

That evening, after the risers ceased their session for the day, we decided to go for a short walk up the rocky ridge that forms the cliffs on one West side of the lake. From there we were afforded a beautiful vantage point of Coral Lake, and another smaller lake above it. The starkness of the scene was amazing.

I woke early the next morning, in hopes of quickly catching at least one fish to allow me the liberty to do other things without feeling the need to fish constantly. It was below freezing at five in the morning. After a short effort with the fly rod, I gave up and put together my ultralight spinning rod, and the smallest spinner I had. After hooking and loosing a small trout, I was ecstatic to land my first Coral Lake Golden Trout.

After a few brief photographs it was carefully released.

We continued to seek Alberta's most beautiful fish in arguably the province's most beautiful place to do so.

I landed another Golden on the steep drop offs of the West end and a third and final fish on the shallow flats of the East end.

In doing so I effectively tripled my count from my last Golden endeavour.