View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
This is the 2nd most dangerous thing I have ever read on AO.

First of all... tell that to the people that lived in the satellite states of the former Soviet Union. Tell that to the people of North Korea, Darfur, Bosnia. Would you like me to go on?

Sorry boss, MY rights are not dictated to me by the society I live in. They are inalienable, given to me by God, Allah or whatever you want to think. They cannot be taken away, voted away, legislated away, ruled away. These rights are worth fighting and dying for.

I take issue with this argument. Nobody started up a conversation with a sperm and an egg one day and said "You two... if you want to get together and create Sneeze, you better agree to these rules of society". I never agreed to these rules. I never signed up for any of it. Tyranny is very common under the guise of "common good".

It boils my blood when I hear the argument similar to "pay my fair share", "your duty to society", "public safety". I couldn't care less about society, when did I agree to these restrictions? When did I submit to the will of the majority?
If my comment was the second scariest, this one has to be the first. May I ask you a few simple questions, how do you feel about the US constitution, how do you feel about the Canadian constitutional rights and freedoms. Do either of these documents mean anything to you at all. Both documents are products of their respective societies. Both documents are designed to prevent tyranny. I am interested in your views, on society and your comment that you couldn't care less about society.

If you couldn't care less about society , how do you view other peoples rights and freedoms, do they have any. I care deeply about society, my right to vote, I abide by all laws even the one's I don't agree with. I have my own opinions but am not so naive as to believe that while the will of the minority is important it cannot be disputed that the will of the majority is what we live by. It seems to me the will of the majority is the cornerstone of democracy.

You certainly have the right to your opinion, I respect that but your comments have raised a few questions in my mind.