View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 09:12 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
On an inhale the diaphram moves backwards as the lungs fill....on exhale it moves forward. All the gushy parts in side will move slightly as well.

I don't think it is anything to be stuck on....more something to consider....just remember if you think you nailed a shot and you find some gut in the chest cavity when you are dressing the animal....this could be the cause

LC
I think the only problem with that theory LC is that the Diaphragm acts as a vaccum seal basically. Puncture it and the lungs have a very hard time inflating and you end up with equal pressure in the chest and gut cavities. It would be impossible for gut to get sucked into the chest cavity. If you have gut in the chest cavity, it's because the bullet pushed it there, likely from a hard quartering away shot. The liver and stomach actually sits next to the diaphragm, neither of those are going to get sucked into the chest cavity....blown in by a bullet but not sucked in.

You are correct that the diaphragm is a muscle and has some slight movement but never enough to alter shot placement depending on the breathing cycle. My Dad told me some whopper stories as a kid too...that's what Dads do.

If the theory were true though, it would make a great arguement for the high shoulder shot