View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 09:19 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonBroke View Post
dont seem like 6 petals vs 4 petals makes a larger frontal diameter, in fact seems based upon the quotes from the manufactures themselves, that barnes tsx is 2x larger than the original diameter as where the gmx claims 1.5 x times larger than original diameter.

Barnes quote: Barnes TSX, TTSX, and LRX share the same all-copper design resulting in virtually 100% weight retention. Four razor-sharp cutting petals expand to double the bullet’s original diameter to create a very long and wide wound channel

hornady quote:"Hornady engineers designed the GMX bullet to perform across a very wide range of velocities, from +3,400 to 2,000 fps, and perform it does. GMX bullets are designed to expand to 1.5 times their original diameter and retain over 95% of their original weight.

what do you think...?
First off, frontal area and expanded diameter are two very different things. The TSX expands well but with voids between the expanded petals you lose frontal area. The GMX better mimics a bonded bullet's frontal area with no voids.

Secondly, I think Hornady is a little more honest in their advertising. I haven't recovered many GMX bullets but the few I have are all 2x expanded with virtually 100% weight retention....pretty well identical to the handful of TSX I've recovered.

Here you go...don't get too hung up on overall diameter as these are all different calibre bullets but it gives va good picture of frontal area.