View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hawken View Post
this is nothing new.i have rebuilt tons of diffs and 95% under warranty.when dodge changed to coil springs in 2009 they changed the diff.they put to much drain coming back down in the diff.the result is not enough oil for the pinion brg and the pinion locks up causing this.they built a restricter plate under a recall that we put in.this solved this problem but be aware i have also replaced diffs where the pinion nut has also come off and causing the same result.for all you that believe in services i am going to give you a little tip.most dealers will not do a proper diff service.they suck out tghe oil and put oil in.thats flat rate in and out.you can make more money doing fast services than doing proper services.i know this because i worked for dodge for 7 years and have seen this all over.dont blame the mechanic.the dealers started this war years ago.for all the people that believe that ford is better than dodge,chev is better than ford or whatever they are all vehicles that are made to break no matter what the name says.the quality has left many moons ago.i now make my living as a heavy duty mechanic

I wouldnt make that generalization. I had no problem making time on a service #4 in fact I could run 2 hoists at the same time. Most guys don't realize you can actually drain the engine oil and drop a tranny pan at the same time you don't have to do them one at a time. In fact with another pail you can take a diff cover off while those are draining. Taking short cuts is what ends up in threads like this. Instead of sucking the fluid out and saying I did a service in like .4 and made an hour flat rate. You also realize that those services make alot more money than just services. You are supposed to check things like fluid leaks, u-joints , brake measurements, lights and other things. So if you are speaking of ****ty service do not make a generalization or blame the dealer. you are getting paid for a job so friggin do it. I was just told recently i need to half ass a fix to get it done. I told them doing right does not take that much longer and we don't have to worry about a comeback. That answer was not good enough so I Left. I do not stand for half ass excuses. Fix it Right The First Time.