View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 01:02 AM

From the Flatiron website:

In 2007: HOCHTIEF acquires Flatiron and enters U.S. civil construction market
=======================================

This is what I know about HOCTIEF.

HOCHTIEF is a German Company who also acquired Turner Construction Company prior to the Flatiron Acquisition. I worked for Turner on the East Coast in the States from 1998 to 2009 and having HOCHTIEF as our parent company did not take anything away from the way Turner previously operated. We were probably stronger with HOCHTIEF behind us so as far as them being a solvent company I actually had considered going to work for Flat Iron when I came to Alberta BUT it would have meant a move that I knew my husband did not really want to make, would have taken him far away from family etc.

I would browse their website to see the projects they have completed. You may very well know some contractor who has worked on one of the projects or is currently and that would be the best people to ask. If a General Contractor treats his subcontractors decent, they will treat their employees decent. If they trash their subs the people might not get trashed but I would not work for them. 30 years in residential and commercial construction I never worked for a crooked owner, Project Manager, etc and the jobs we completed were a testament to that.

Their company history says they were founded in 1947. That says something for them as long as they are not making their money off the backs of good subs.

That's my two cents. Since they are online they are showing a lot of what they have done in the past. Depending on the type of work you are looking to do for them you may know some subcontractors who have worked for them. That would be their best reference, in my opinion. Wish you well and just don't tell me how great they treat you..........and how wonderful the health insurance is and how great the Christmas Bonus is and how many paid holidays and vacation days you get ..................I could not stand it................kidding - I truly wish you well. If I find out anything else on them will let you know but I am banking you will find someone on here who either has worked for them, knows someone who knows a sub who has worked for them, etc. and you will get what you need to know.

Second thought they have 2,500 employees, a fantastic training program listed on their website. They are mirroring Turner Construction very closely in that regard. I would apply and I do not think you will be unhappy as long as you understand where the job may take you.

Good luck.