View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 02:20 PM

Even better Tork, lets put every species on draw, end all outfitter/guide allocations, and make all wildlife the property of the landowner.....

Since the simplest solution for you is o limit the number of licenses issued, by how much should rifle tags be reduced? Since rifle hunters take the vast majority of all animals, of all classes, of all species it only makes sense that rifle tags should be reduced the most.

Jryley, you're being a bit of a di*k. No needy to "dumb it down" for us, just write clearly. No need to call others ignorant or stupid, just make your argument; if it is a well thought out idea, then it will be respected, if it has holes then they will be pointed out.

For the record, I clearly stated I would support closing the season across the board if that would address the issue.

You say no one is saying put archery on draw to increase rifle opportunities...... really? Come on, that is exactly what people are saying. The reasons given so far include:

Bow hunters are killing all the trophy bucks

Bow hunters are killing all the small bucks

Bow hunters kill a mule deer every year because they are too stupid (the deer, not the hunters)

Bow hunters are exceeding their 15% allotment

Bow hunter can't be trusted around your children.....

Okay, I made the last one up, but the others are being said because rifle (mostly) hunters are complaining that the wait in their zone is too long = need more tags, or there are not enough big bucks in their zone = need others to stop killing big bucks.

If there is a problem in a specific zone (again, I don't give a rat's bumhole if 15% is exceeded in your zone or not), then reduce EVERYONE'S take (see, I agree with you). If that means putting archery on draw, then I am okay with it. However, we need solid data on success rates of archers (ESRDs data is not defensible IMO and many others) to set the appropriate number of tags. If 20% of archers are successful (likely) then to achieve 15% of the harvest, 5x that many archery tags need to be issued.

Lets explore this idea: 100 AMD are targeted in a zone, this means 15 of those tags should be TAKEN by archers. Using our 20% success rate, there should be 75 tags available. Rifle success rate is, for sake of argument, 60%. Using these numbers there would be 142 tags for the general season.

By the way, this is how our wildlife quotas are set and tags allocated. The numbers used for general weapons draw seasons are probably different, but that is the type of data required for "controlled harvest" hunts.

If you and ESRD are okay with using the proper data, to calculate the proper number of tags, then I have no doubt that one could easily get drawn (for archery) yearly, or at most (in a handful of zones) every second year in the vast majority of zones. If that is the case... what the heck is the point of puttin it on draw in the first place!?!?!?