View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiddlemiss View Post
I am fairly new to reading all these threads, so I am sure that this topic has been discussed before.

I am wondering what everyone's thoughts/comments are if Alberta legalized baiting deer?

I am not saying that I want this to happen or that I would agree with it, just wanted to know where everyone else stands on this topic.

For starters, the ETHICS of hunting ungulates over bait is not a concern to me.

I feel that baiting ungulates should be illegal for recreational hunting and Non-hunting purposes.

Why?

Most importantly, Baiting DOES increase the risk of disease transmission between animals. Those claiming that there is no proof are blowing smoke. There are now many research projects that have concluded that baiting ungulates significantly increases transmission rates of diseases like CWD, Bluetongue and Tuberulosis.

The disease issue is not just about wildlife. The potential for massive financial damages to the Agricultural sector due to potential cross infection from wildlife to livestock is worrysome.

Allowing baiting of ungulates simply because some "want to" is not justifiable versus the potential ramification due to disease issues.

It is interesting that once again Canadians are playing catch up with American (usa) social trends. We are so far behind that most are not paying attention the present trend regarding ungulate baiting in the US.

Most jurisdictions in the USA are now trying to reverse present laws and make baiting of ungulates Illegal! They have been through all the problems associated with this practice, and are paying for the negative impacts that come along with baiting.

I hope there is a chance that Albertan hunters will be wise enough to learn from others mistakes and Never allow baiting for hunting ungulates, and to make baiting ungulates for other recreational purposes illegal as well.