View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
The difference between a field and a bait pile, is. One the leaves or seeds are eaten off the stem/stock there is no reason for a deer to revisit that said stem. Keeps them moving.

I thought grain spills and faulty storage bins were supposed to be cleaned up and maintained, with fines levied against those that fail to do so. There shouldn't be any excuses.

And it isn't just cwd that's detrimental to our animals and land from baiting. The introduction of non native grasses and seeds in non traditional areas could have huge environmental impacts.

Here's my assumption, in a thread full of them. There's a lot more guys on AO, already baiting and hunting over it, than I originally thought.....

I can't imagine anyone thinking that a field of anything would be even close to the equivalent to a bait pile. I guess that means we agree on that point.

I've never heard of any law, rule, or government policy that says that grain spills have to be cleaned up. Nor has anyone I know ever received any sort of warning, fine or directive in relation to spilled rain.

Granted, I only have a few relives who farm, including two brothers, and four BIL, not to mention at least a dozen close friends and a couple of former employers. And when I called them they said they had never heard of such a thing. But maybe they all just got lucky.
However, a google search found nothing about any government law, policy, or directive concerning spilled grain.

How do you figure bait piles would introduce non native grasses and seeds?
Assuming that local feed supplies are utilized as would almost certainly be the case, where would these grasses and seeds come from?

If feed were to be imported, it would have to go through the same stringent inspections that ALL agricultural products HAVE to go through.

I'm curious, where did you come up with these ideas? Could you link us to a source for you information? I would like to see it or them.

With nearly sixty years of life on and around farms I have never heard of anything like this, except from people who had no idea what they were talking about.
I'm not saying that you don't, but I have grave doubts about your sources.