View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 01:28 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Based on the 2012 (i couldnt find 2011 but it will work for arguement sake) draw stats there was 24,427 resident mule deer hunters that were drawn (assume they were all rifle only hunters). The 2011 resident mule hunters from the stats above are 36,589. The remaining 12,162 i would hazard to believe were made up of mostly bowhunters grabbing a general tag as their are very few places that offer mule deer on rifle general tag anymore (and they usually dont have high hunter or deer numbers imo). Sure you can state the assumptions are flawed but they balance out against each other too.

So 12,000 over 37,000 is nearly 32%. So thats how I get to over 25%.

So would you agree that the 15% cap isnt a good number to use???
A few flaws in your calculations but my first question is:
Does the 24,427 drawn include antlerless draws as well?

I did some looking and it appears it does so you are likely right that the percentage of bowhunters pursuing mule deer is higher than 15% but that number does not represent the general hunting population...just those pursuing mule deer. Considering, as you pointed out, opportunity for general mule deer is very limited and bow tags are general, this shouldn't come as much surprise but you can't compare a group on restricted draw to one that is not, when figuring out a percentage of participation overall. That's the major flaw.

Last edited by sheephunter; 12-17-2012 at 01:46 PM.