Thread: " Idle No More"
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Chief Louie makes good money, so does the chief of the Okanogan band...why should they disperse their income? Your suggesting that people think natives should be communists? How absurd.

Native communities have rich, middle class and poor people the same as any community. On a per capita basis they have more poor than other identifiable groups.....if you think it's portrayed as a 'hard life for all' your views are skewed.
I am not stating that I personally feel they all have it rough, far from it in fact.
However that is an opinion that has been expressed to me by members of local reserves that I have worked with.
Nor am I stating they do not have a right to earn their own decent pay.
I AM however expressing the fact that as you said, the bands happen to have a higher ratio of poor to wealthy.

It is not a problem that is exclusive to any identifiable group, but it is a problem that has been identified before. The problem I am referring to is more money making its way towards the pockets and specific interests of a select few, instead of being put to use towards the general health and living situation of the community as a whole.