View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 09:43 PM

Im not a gunsmith and ive never played one on TV but...
my two-bits would echo the use of a hi quality one peice plastic coated rod and jag of some form, using aluminum rods will leave traces of aluminum on the rifling and be embedded to the bbl with the next firing.
use a rod guide and push a clean cotton patch through it from the breech to the muzzle, some patch leave more lint than others , while others have a aggressive effect on crud, keep the bbl pointed downward so any solvents dont enter the chamber/ magazine area. use a chamber mop to wipe the chamber dry after cleaning. (a 410 cotton swab works in 270 or 3006)ensure that the chamber is degreased and dry, a mirror polished chamber is not a good thing.

with the myriad of different solvents, miracle pastes, and bore cleaners available, which one to use is a personal choice...as long as you are aware that no single super-cleaner can remove lead, copper, plastics, oils, rust or chocolate cake stains..etc. so each problem has to be addressed adhoc.
having a succesful cleaning regiman for that particular rifle is as important as finding a one-hole handload for it. some need it in 20, others every 50, still others..never

I usually do a complete teardown, add fresh lube wear needed, clean the bore before season. Then a bbl get it every 20-25 shots or after a dirty muddy, dusty or wet(rain or condensation) hunt.
I also would suggest you put a peice of electrical tape over the muzzle to prevent any krap from entering your new shiny pipe.
cleaning your guns should be an enjoyable pastime like tying flies, painting a picture or knitting scarves like Dick284 does in the off season.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31