View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Citizens involved in managing this fishery were pushing for a tag system or a slot size but Saskatchewan wanted no part of those. From what I've heard there will be an increase to 75cm next season which is too bad.

If you are one of the many fishermen to visit this lake in the coming years consider putting the larger fish back. I understand that the law is the law and you can keep one over 65 (75)cm, but if you're lucky enough to be holding up an 18+ pounder, consider trying for a smaller fish for the table.

December and January are vulnerable months for lakers as the large females have just finished spawning and this is the only time of year that these fish are more aggressive feeders than the smaller fish. The average size of fish caught in these two months is staggering compared to the open water season. Because of this, the amount of people fishing in January and February are in such a critical spot to adversely affect the age structure of this lake.

Hopefully a better thought-out management plan is being worked on for the future.
I worked in Labrador for the last year and a half and a majority of their angling is done for char (ie. lake trout, brook trout, and arctic char), and salmon. Angling is closed from september 15th until march 1st, there. There are a lot of good points being made here.

I also think there should be some work to be done to make sure the lake doesn't get over populated and produce stunted fish. I don't really thing thats an issue at Cold lake. I am yet to see a skinny laker come form that lake. I don't think there is anything wrong with a slot size and tags for those guys who might want to get a trophy fish for their wall.

I also find it interesting how the alberta record lake trout from Cold Lake was caught during a time the lake trout population was considered in decline. Perhaps a smaller laker population would produce larger lakers with more available food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 208prov View Post
Have caught them with spawn in the bellie in mid march, Problem is what about the males cause the vast majorty of males done there bussiness already and moved on.
I may be wrong but I have heard that lakers don't spawn every year and some years trout will reabsorb eggs they have produced and not spawned. What size were the eggs? I have seen small eggs in lakers in the spring, in remote sask lakes. I am talking open water fishing though.