View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 AM

The real issue is why the folks in questions, and I mean Big Government, refuse to act. I know that on a personal level the guys and gals at the ACA, SRD, F&W etc must want to protect the environment (why else study environmental biology, etc for years if you hate the topic?).

The problem is as Don said, There is no action. There just shouldn't be the beaurocracy that there obviously is. If there is a problem, fix it. Why talk? it will just get worse and more expensive to accomplish. But then why have them (ACA, F&W, SRD, etc...) if every time there are new issues with fisheries we just pile on more to TU.

I'm sure they'd (ACA, SRD, or whoever) be interested in fixing fisheries, and I'm sure they'd at least want to help. But when Alberta's fisheries as a whole are already the government's responsibility (as per the creation of the province of Alberta, so don't start talking about Big Government please), and they have people employed to perform the jobs, they should by God do them. Otherwise we end up paying twice --once for government to do what they do best; talk, blame someone else, then procrastinate. Then we get the joy of paying another time for a private sector vulture to do the bare-minimum effort to collect the paycheck, at a higher cost than the government could have done itself.

Then the government gets to sit around again, taking twenty years to adjust the regs based on the new information for fear of being seen as "too restrictive" by the general public. And I'm not making it up. That's about the timeline it took to change the bull trout regs when the bio's started noticing that they were heading into collapse, and for walleye, too.

Anyway, my blood pressure is rising. I'm going to tie a fly.

Nick