View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 07:30 PM

Default They aren't that "edible" anyway(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
It's probably better that I don't read the regs. Another lake lost to the fish huggers for the sake of making it easier for them to catch big fish. Beaver Lake went from a 2 fish retention to a C&R lake. I don't fish it thank God but this trend really has me concerned. Dolberg Lake, one that I do fish and already contains "quality" fish, is currently on the list to be turned into a "Quality" fishery. So there you go, turn a lake into a "Quality" fishery, complain that the fish aren't growing big enough, and then turn it into a C&R fishery.

"The harvest of Rainbow Trout from Beaver Lake (ES2), designated as a quality Stocked Fishery (QSF), was too high under the previous 2 fish bag limit and the QSF goal to achieve at least 10% of fish being larger than 50 cm was not being met. Following public consultation, a zero limit is being implemented to meet the goal."

Yeah, right.
None of us "need" those fish as food, in the sustenance sense, and they really aren't that good in taste terms anyway. If one is a food fisherman, one is in the wrong place (?).
How does the thread about observance (or not) of the regulations turn into one about whether or not to eat your catch, anyway?
When I moved to Alberta, from Nova Scotia, I was not used to a "large" reg booklet, and, in 1982, when I purchased my first Alberta license and headed out to the foothills, by myself, to pursue some trout fishing, the person who sold me the license neglected to thrust a copy of the regs at me. So, when I was back at my (very minimal, I couldn't afford much "gear" in those days) campsite frying up a couple of those trout in the evening, I got talking to one of the other campers, who pointed out, very politely, that they had been caught in streams that were closed at present, and were otherwise "illegal". Didn't make them taste any better or worse - they were no NS brookie quality in those terms. Guess I was lucky I didn't "get caught"(?). Guess that's why, to my immense surprise, there was no one else out fishing those streams at the time (?). I just assumed that I could go catch trout, and eat them, in the "wilderness" as such.
Since then I have always made a point of getting the regs and observing them very strictly, not to mention insisting that my fishing companions do so, and occasionally pointing them out to others in the vicinity who appear to be completely ignorant of them. Much less excuse for not doing so now, as they are available both printed and web. And, if I don't always think they are "rational", then I have the option to easily contact the regulators and make my point, which I do on occasion. I suspect that has more potential impact than whining about it here (?).