View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
I would contest the advise, pretaining to "overlining"!! Definitely depends on the action of the rod! I would NOT overline a medium (soft) rod, cautiously over line a med/fast and most likely overline a fast action rod (though with a GPX type line as oppsed to 1 wt heavier - GPX is only 1/2 a line wt heavier).

At this point don't be too concerned about which rod/line/reel combo, but just get out there and practice, read and watch! I would recommend that you sign up for some lessons (at a local fly shop), you willl lessen the learning curve and prevent you from starting any bad habits that will take you years to unlearn!

9' 6 wt and decent floating line will do what you want it to - especially for the Bow (don't spend more the $200 on the entire kit at this stage)! Look on Kijiji or the Trading Post thread. The only specific advice I would give you is consider a 4 piece over a 2 piece (even though better deals to be had on a 2 piece rod), for the only reason is that it is more portable...

Good luck!

P
X2 on everything said here except the 4 pcs. In the cheaper rods I find the 4 pcs models heavier and have poor swing weight. Once you get into a decent rod it matters less or not at all.

The beginners I have dealt with don't seem to be able to keep the 4 pcs aligned properly and don't notice if they start to come apart. There was one young fellow that snapped his rod as it was not fully put together when a fish hit. The connecting point being at a stronger point would have prevented this.

I find the 2 pcs rods cheaper to buy and just as easy to transport to rivers and pot hole lakes. I leave mine strung up in a two piece case with reel attached. I can be chucking bugs in minutes while others are stringing a 4 pcs. My son insisted on a 4 pcs rod but now only breaks it done in two pieces and uses a two piece case that allows the reel to remain on.

If back packing a 4 pcs rod would obviously be the ticket.

The new Sage VXP comes with a very nice 4 pcs case that allows the reel to stay on the rod. It is much nicer than the ones that came with the Flight series combo. It is less balky and has individual compartments for each piece.