View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 06:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Yeup! The only rod i like that i've casted from tfo is the bvk. Its a good buy at the 300 dollar mark for the rod blank itself its a good blank, to build on, but with tfos factory component and quality check, it really doesnt help that rod out. Components on all tfo rods are very cheap and not high quality which is the reason for "low" cost that everyone thinks is great. But as for the 130-200 dollar "decent" tfo's everyone raves about, not worth it if you look closely. Not only beginners, but even experienced fisherman still NEVER look at the epoxy work, shape and etc of rods, cork and finish. They see the price tag, fits their budget and they go for it. Without paying much attention to the things that make the rod what it is. Like you said the QC just isnt there for Tfo.
Couldn't agree more.^^....most accurate TFO review ever written!

I bought a BVK 2 years ago,based on all the raving reviews.As mentioned the blank is decent enough and comparable to many higher-end rods,but that's where it ends.Wish I'd have shopped around a bit more or scrutinized the BVK more closely,IMO there are lots of "nicer" rods in the same price range.
For instance,I was no more than 2 minutes into it's "maiden voyage" when I decided that the stripping guide was a noisy,cheesy POS.And this after driving directly from the CGY flyshop that shall remain nameless 1.5 hrs west into mountains to discover that the guy had grabbed me a 586-4 and not the 590-4 that I had asked for.....shared blame there for not checking myself,and not a really big deal,but still,a bit disappointed from the get go.....if I was closer and not so anxious to fish I'd have brought it back.

Last edited by grinr; 04-10-2013 at 06:57 AM.