View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Ummmm...yes,it's called single and/or double hauling.
sorry,not trying to be a smartazz,I'm sure you knew that.
I'm doing the same thing as you,false casting what the rod(or what I?) can handle,and shooting as many coils as I can manage.But for arguments sake,let's say I can manage 5 shooting coils totaling 30 feet?What I'm saying is that instead of double hauling/false casting 40' of line (250gr?)and shooting 30 more,by dropping one line weight I'm carrying 50' (same 250gr)in the air and shooting the same 30' for a gain of 10',which can mean the difference between my fly reaching that seam where a salmon is lying,or coming up ten feet short?
Just making these numbers up somewhat,but you get the idea.Point being,if you have a max amount of coils that you can comfortably shoot without getting tangled up and all that....say 5-6 coils(?),then you can gain distance on the amount of line that you false cast while keeping that airborne line weight the same simply by dropping one line weight.
Before we stomp this horse right into the ground let's assume some things.

A fast 5 wt rod could also be considered a slow or medium 6wt or an extra fast 4wt. Depending on a casters style he could choose any of the above lines and be happy. I get that.

You have an 8wt rod that performs more to YOUR liking with 7wt line. I have a 5 wt 9.5' CPX I just spooled up with 6wt to better suit what I want it to do, cast drys off a pontoon boat. I get that too.

The link suggests a person that has a rod that is spooled with a wt of line that suits the casters style should carry several weights of line for different conditions. This would suggest that a person with a smooth deliberate stroke can suddenly change his style to a fast action and cast a lighter line farther into the wind.

I am suggesting that your rod is now a fast 7wt like you prefer and that my 5 wt CPX is now a medium fast 6 wt like I prefer. I can't cast the rod worth a dam with regular 5wt line but it is decent with 5.5wt line. I have not tried it yet but I am thinking it will be awesome with 6 wt line and still enable me to cast a more tapered line for drys.

I realize distance is king on eastern rivers and that a strike can happen any time on the retrieve like casting lures or spin baits. The more water you cover the better your chances as the fish are not feeding. This is the exception rather than a rule and I believe most fly fishing requires a rod/line combo that can deliver any time at any distance within reason.

Do you carry a lighter line in case it gets windy, a regular line if conditions are normal and a heavier line in case you want to hit a small stream on the way home like the link suggests?