View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 11:55 AM

Default frog popper

I remember my father having an old beat up hula popper similar to this one 30+years ago.

While I don't specifically remember him catching fish with it, he always had it in his tackle box. As a young boy I thought no self respecting pike would eat that. Fast forward 20 years and some buddies and I were fishing Pigeon in a shallow bay adjacent to some weeds. Fishing was slow and everyone was snagging bottom/weeds, so I figured I needed something floating/topwater, so I put my dad's old hula popper on. My buddies laughed at me, and honestly, I didn't think it was gonna work either but thought I would give it a shot. I casted to within inches of the pencil reeds and let the waves dissipate, a couple of hand cranks on the reel later and a loud splash erupted and my froggy was gone. It turned out to be a fair sized pike and my buddies and I were instant believers in my fathers old lure. I have since bought one, and like my father, it sits in my tackle box. Maybe when my young son is old enough, he'll ask me about it and with some luck he'll catch a fish with it when the fishing slows.