View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 11:20 PM

Default shed hunting

Was picking sheds in a narrow 20yd wide coulee in early April. Heard a noise up the south slope, a deer pushing thru the heavy cherry-hazel brush. Then I realized that the noise was coming my way. The following " UFF UFF" removed any doubt! The large black bear came into the bottom clearing only 15-20 paces east of me and broadside. No armament of any kind but he wasn't threatening so I pulled out my new Samsung Galaxy & pushed this & that button to get it on. Then I couldn't find the camera button in the screen glare! I was quiet so as not to scare him away. As my attention went back to the bear I saw it was no longer a broadside view but a full frontal shot. He was lifting his head & sniffing and with his first slow step my way, I said the heck with the damn picture. I gave that same bellowing roar as when I caught my kids waterskipping my new trapping skidoo on the dugout! He did turn and go, but slowly. I called to the 2 youths near me to pull out, and all ended ok. ( I'm not afraid of bears, but sure do respect them)
Anyone else run into curious or hungry bears?