View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 06:55 PM

Default Actually, very good eating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
It's a crime against nature to throw them on the shore to rot or whatever. They are a great fish to eat just skin em like in the pic ,no small bones ,boiled or fried one of the better tasting fish out there In my opinion .
x2. The first time I caught one (ice fishing) it didn't look too appetizing, but a friend said keep it and I will show you how to fillet it. A bit of a job, and indescribable quantities of "slime", but it really is one of the better eating fish out there. I have since kept them for eating on the odd occasion we get one.
I never thought they could be caught on cranks or metal until a friend hooked a fairly large one while trolling a big Len Thomson for Pike (Iosegun) - introduced some fellow campers who had never seen one to just how good they are to eat. I've heard that the natives targeted them for eating, in preference to Walleye or Pike, "in the old days". And the biggest one I ever saw (had to be 15 lb. +) was in the back of the truck from a winter net haul by some natives at Pinehurst. The natives in question told us that while the other fish in their haul (mostly walleye and pike) were destined for commercial market, they would be keeping the "ling" for their own tables.