View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post
Yeah I suspected as much. But I actually thought that food/vet/tack/misc "maintenance" for a horse would be more. Like a "rich man's" thing.

Out of curiosity though, how much can one get a decent "riding horse" for?
ie: I'm not interested in purchasing a brand new "Lincoln Navigator" but more a "used Ford sedan", type of thing.

I like that "higher trails" thing. Would probably do something like that at first until I knew I was comfortable in looking after a horse properly.
If your just looking for horse to trail ride they will run anywhere from 1500$ to $5000. Performance horses are a whole other story and cost much more. If you are new and know nothing about horse get someoene you trust to help you find suitable, broke horses.
Horses can be fun and rewarding but they can be very dangerous as well. A well broke, safe horse is worth the extra money for someone who is just starting out. I've seen so called "bombproof" horses come completely unglued for various reasons. No matter how broke they are they need to be respected.What Taco said is right , buying one is the cheap part. The care and maintenance is quite costly.