View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
If your just looking for horse to trail ride they will run anywhere from 1500$ to $5000. Performance horses are a whole other story and cost much more. If you are new and know nothing about horse get someoene you trust to help you find suitable, broke horses.
Horses can be fun and rewarding but they can be very dangerous as well. A well broke, safe horse is worth the extra money for someone who is just starting out. I've seen so called "bombproof" horses come completely unglued for various reasons. No matter how broke they are they need to be respected.What Taco said is right , buying one is the cheap part. The care and maintenance is quite costly.
Good advice.

Don't shy away from the older experienced horses thinking that you want something young that will "last longer." A "been there, done that" honest horse is what you want to start with. A horse that you're afraid to ride will only get worse standing in a pasture.

Anyone that has horses knows that they aren't just a hobby. They take up much time and effort but the benefits are many. I guess it depends on the person but I'd much rather spend my time with our horses than whacking a little white ball on a manicured fairway.