View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
You don't think people just put in because its cheap?

Look at the piles of guys that flood these forums each fall because they have absolutely no clue about draws they put in for. The areas they applied, the animals they applied for and where to even start to have a successful hunt. They threw a whole mitt full of draws in and have gotten drawn for something they didn't really care to hunt or they would have at least researched it a little. How many of these tags go unused each year?

Everyone has to start somewhere, you don't start hunting knowing eveything.....and if you think you know everything, well you don't...

There are hundreds of guys that put in for every draw they can just for the simple fact that its only $3/draw so it is no big deal if they dont know or dont use the tag. If it cost people a bit they would apply a bit more effort into their draw selection and would be a bit more hesitant to just flood the system with draws they could care less about. If it doesnt work out they dont care. if they dont go and dont get a tag they are out under $3 and if they buy the tag and its not used or what ever they are out $40 total. So whats to deter this type of stuff? Shutting out NR hunters?????

This promotes an elistist attitude.....shutting out new folks via costs promotes a rich mans sport, that being said I do agree the current $3/draw is very cheap....heck raise fishing license by $3-4 dollars and watch the whining commence on here.

Do you think over 9000 people would apply for 438 sheep if the price wasnt $3? Only 2200 people by a sheep tag each year but 9000+ put in for the draw? Its because its cheap oppertunity at a coveted tag and and they can put in everyone they know to up a groups odds of getting a tag. Where else in the world can you apply for a coveted rut draw tag for $3? Its retarded!!!!

Some people are prepared to buy the tag if they get the draw...its what I do. Some guys put in for moose every year to get the draw but don't buy a moose general tag.....so what?

Over loaded draws are the issue and eliminating the NR hunters is only a small fix that is the main push as resident hunters want more more more but dont you dare restrict or affect them or their draws.

Residents have taken the largest hit when it comes to draw availability the past few years....time for other user groups to follow suit.

The only way there will be any worthy improvment residents must own up that they are some if not most of the issue. And as long as they argue to changes towards them nothing will ever be accomplished.
IMHO you can't fix it all at once. For starters I think that when tags are reduced they should be reduced accross the board....for example if we have a crap winter and deer draws are cut 50% then EVERY user group should have an equal reduction.

I also feel that the definition of resident and having criteria to maintain resident status would be a huge step in the reduction of people claiming "false resident" status.

I also feel that you should HAVE to purchase your wildlife certificate before being allowed to enter any draws....this would keep many out who really have no intention of hunting....(tinfoil hat time )

I know a guy who is more dedicated to hunting sheep than anyone I know....he hunts each year, lives in the bush for months, etc....he is 3 days older than dirt and tougher than nails....hardly has two nickels to rub together...if costs go up drastically then he is priced out of the game. He is as dedicated to hunting as anyone I know.

I put in for bison, goat, antelope (archery, nontrophy, and trophy) and turkey each year.....they are becoming once in a lifetime draws.....so whether I 999 or pick a zone I am just building priority every year it seems. Should hunters be forced out of applying for these? why do we even have seasons for these then? If each of these was $50 to apply for.....I personally would still put in but many who have priorities built would not. So what you propose forces out people who are looking for that once in a lifetime draw that they can enjoy in their own back yard....

......no easy answers.

LC