View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
Can you explain why you tie them in the 20"-24" range, and how you use the different lengths?

I definitely feel that 18" is too short. I don't know if I'd feel that 20" was enough.
Nothing more than personal preference really...as fluoro is almost invisible in the water, just kinda guessing on how far up the leader my swivel needs to be to go "un-seen" by fish. That being said, I see no difference in my catch rate between the old black or silver leaders and the fluoro's. But would like to think it makes it more appealing.

2nd, I find it's a good length to manipulate and keep leverage on my side if I need to grab it when there's a little guy on trying to be a tough guy at the boat.

3rd, if we get in a casting situation, it's a good length for that as well. I tend to use lighter, smaller lures (1oz, +/- 1/4) and find that hanging a lure 30"-36" from the tip gets me good distance. Any longer and it seems like trying to throw a wet noodle.

Definitely no science behind it though...I don't use a longer or shorter leader for any specific type of fish or fishing.

The biggest thing is they last much longer than the wire leaders do. Especially if you get a pike that likes to do the "death roll" on the way in. A couple fish do that and a wire leader is usually wound up like a spring. I've used one fluoro for an entire day and never had it do that to me.