Thread: Status Natives
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Mule deer hunting has gone to draw for most areas even for archery for the white man, how far does it go before treaty rights are restricted? When there are none left?

You haven't made a good argument as to why treaty rights shouldn't be updated other than because you like them.
You're not listening to me either that or you refuse to hear or see what I'm putting in print.

Are there any non resident mule deer licenses in Alberta?

If government waits till none are left then they're abandoning their responsibility to manage the resource effectively. If they feel the population is in danger, they can restrict or curtail Rights based harvesting RIGHT NOW.

I do not know how much clearer I can make this point. I've said it in at least three posts already. The Alberta government can take action RIGHT NOW, if they feel the mule deer population is in a conservation crisis.

The other option is to open up the Treaties and that would require a Constitutional amend and there's a formula for that. I believe 70 percent of the provinces plus the federal government would have to agree, perhaps you should raise it with your MP to see what his appetite is to do so. The Indians have no control over opening up the constitution to revisit the Treaties.