Thread: obed mine
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 10:54 AM

Default yeah, nice

Alberta Energy Regulator responding to Obed Mountain Coal Mine Process Water Containment Failure
For immediate release

Calgary, Alberta (Nov 01, 2013)…

The Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) has been notified by Obed Mountain Coal Ltd. that a pit containing coal process and surface water failed at approximately 6:30 PM on October 31, releasing a large quantity of the process water into the Athabasca River via two tributaries. The mine is located approximately 30 kilometres east of Hinton, Alberta.

There were no injuries as a result of this incident. All other appropriate agencies have been notified, including Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development. The AER is investigating this incident to determine if the company was in compliance with AER requirements.

The AER ensures the safe, efficient, orderly, and environmentally responsible development of hydrocarbon resources over their entire life cycle. This will include allocating and conserving water resources, managing public lands, and protecting the environment while providing economic benefits for all Albertans.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR BROADCAST USE
The Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) is responding to a pit containment failure at the Obed Mountain Coal Mine, 30 km east of Hinton. The AER is investigating this incident to determine if the company was in compliance with AER requirements.
– 30 –

For more information, please contact:

Darin Barter
Phone: 403-681-0946
E-mail: darin.barter@aer.ca