View Single Post
Old 11-30-2013, 07:02 PM

I like the overhead rod holders!

I suggest adding a 1/2" high lip around each shelf because in my experience anything that gets dropped will find the holes. A few cup hooks on the walls by the holes are great for a small landing net, fish gripper pliers and rods you are keeping handy for use. The magnet is a good idea and I have a 10/0 treble hook with the points ground off, with lead wrap around the shaft and painted white so I can use it as a grapple for retrieving rods, spectacles and the like that invariable go to the bottom despite our best efforts to prevent. I saved a friend's new $400 specs on one occasion! You could fashion a grapple by soldering some coat hanger wire together and adding weight.

My new shack has plexiglas windows with horizontally-sliding plywood panels to block out the light.

I have a catalytic propane heater on a 20 lb tank. It is in the corner farthest from the door and fastened securely to the walls. By the location, nobody would have to get by it to exit the shack if it caught fire for any reason. Always safety first.