View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPman View Post
Three of us walked onto the ice about 09:00 off Norglenwold: access through my buddy's yard. I began drilling a series of 5 holes in a line perpendicular to shore and starting about 100 yd offshore to target 8+ ft depths and on out to about 18'. So my local friend walks along with me to check ice thickness while the other clears the first hole and puts down a line with Wetaskiwin Spoon, what else? Before I have the 3rd hole drilled he has a white on the ice and by the time I finished the 5th hole he is releasing his 3rd white - geez. By noon, I still hadn't had a bite but between the other two we had 6 whites on the ice, had released or lost another 6 or 8 and had landed a 42" X 17" pike. After lunch we landed another 3 or 4 whites, lost several and released 3 walleyes - never changed lures all day. We quit at 4 PM. We also had 2 tip-ups rigged with big herrings but never had a sniff on either one. All fish came from 3 adjacent holes in 8' - 12' depths.
As for ice conditions, we were 100 - 150 yds offshore and there was a good 12 - 14" of hard blue ice with 2 - 3 " of slush then about 3" of snow on top where I drilled. If I had confidence it was the same all the way to the public access, I would have no hesitation to drive on, but... There was evidence of several quad tracks and snowmobile tracks where we were fishing - probably from last weekend by the way they were blown over. "...just the facts, M'am, just the facts."
BPman, great update & congrat's on your day. I drove back to the launch area just off Rustic Rd this afternoon to have a look, it appears one truck with monster tires drove to the edge of the ice seen the flood water and decided to turn around & took off, no one was fishing there today.

Zip-Z